Bookstart Corner is a free, targeted programme offering extra support to families to read with their children with confidence.
- What is Bookstart Corner?
- Why should I deliver Bookstart Corner?
- How do I get the resources?
- What are the benefits?
We recently changed the way Bookstart Corner is distributed and delivered. See ‘How do I get the resources?’ below for more information.
What is Bookstart Corner?
Bookstart Corner is a free, targeted programme aimed at families with children aged 12-30 months who might need extra support to develop a love of stories and rhymes (e.g. families with 2-year-olds eligible for free early education or childcare).
Corner is designed for settings that work directly with these families. These are usually children’s centres or family hubs that support child development and parents and carers’ aspirations and skills.
The programme is structured around a series of flexible sessions that can be held in various ways to suit both the families and setting’s needs. They are designed to build on the vital work already taking place.
'We have found [Corner] a very successful, non-threatening, fun activity in which both parents and children can gain many different skills. It has highlighted to parents how much children can benefit from reading stories and listening to rhymes.' Family Support Worker, Northamptonshire
Why should I deliver Bookstart Corner?
By registering to deliver this free programme, you will receive a wealth of guidance, resources and support to deliver the programme and to create a reading space in your setting.
- High-quality resources for families – two picture books, puppets, a mark-making pad and guidance materials
- Bookstart Corner Superbox – resources to support you to build a library in your setting such as posters, books, guidance and Rhyme Challenge resources
- Bookstart Corner handbook – all the information you need to deliver the programme
- Access to the Bookstart Corner Tools for Practitioners section of the BookTrust website – information and downloadable resources online
- Regular Bookstart Corner newsletters – ideas, activities and news to help you deliver the programme
How do I get hold of the resources?
Each local authority has a Bookstart Coordinator who is responsible for allocating Bookstart Corner resources to settings to deliver the programme to families. If you would like to contact your Bookstart Coordinator to receive resources or make changes to your delivery, email us to find out their contact details.
Changes to distribution and delivery
From May 2019 we changed the way Bookstart Corner is distributed and delivered, in response to changes in the structures and organisations we work with. Previously, settings had to individually request Corner resources from BookTrust. We now allocate resources to every local authority in England, who can work with local settings to deliver the programme in the most effective way.
What are the benefits?
Bookstart Corner has been proven to make a real difference to the families involved, achieving emotional, social and educational development goals of early years and family settings.