Brand new Waterstones Children's Laureate 2022-2024 Joseph Coelho shares what he's plan...
Alongside the 'Life-changing Libraries report’, Cowell has reflected on her time as Chi...
Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell MBE reveals transformative 'Life-changing Libraries' research 08/06/2022
Waterstones Children’s Laureate Cressida Cowell MBE has revealed the transformative imp...
Waterstones Children’s Laureate Joseph Coelho is an award-winning performance poet, playwright and children's author based in Kent. He aims to inspire young people through stories and characters they can recognise and explores themes including fear, courage, diversity, gratitude, empathy and loss. In addition to exploring emotional landscapes, Coelho is inspired by magic, the ancient world and often draws on his own experiences transforming them into something universal that can be shared. Throughout his career he has highlighted the power of poetry and reading, championing and campaigning for local libraries and spotlights new voices and diversity throughout his work.
In this section
Everything you need to know about the laureateship and the current children's author in the role, Joseph Coelho.
Joseph Coelho is an award-winning performance poet, playwright, and children's author whose books include the Luna Loves... series, Werewolf Club Rules, and The Girl Who Became a Tree.
Would you like to see Joseph Coelho and the former Waterstones Children's Laureates? If so, why not head along to one of a number of events this year.
Take a look at our League of Laureates: eleven star authors and illustrators who have previously held the role.
Find out about everyone who supports the Waterstones Children's Laureate and makes the role possible.
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureate. Here's what we did to celebrate!
Celebrating 20 years of the Waterstones Children's Laureate
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureateship in the UK.
Laureate news and blogs
Fun activity sheets to try
Draw your dragon, give it a name and then those all-important vital statistics!
Colour in Hiccup and the headband and make your own crown to wear proudly!
Lots of game and activity suggestions to hold a fun How To Train Your Dragon event in y...
Add a splash of colour to Emily Brown and her rabbit - perfect for younger fans of Cres...
Collect lost and endangered words! Can you match these words with their meanings?
Laureate news on Twitter
- Take a look at this beautiful message which former #ChildrensLaureate @chrisriddell50 has created for @JosephACoelho 😍 https://t.co/nz9E5UTU8O 7 hours ago
- Earlier today, the @Waterstones #ChildrensLaureate for 2022-2024 was revealed as @JosephACoelho and we couldn't be more excited for what's in store over the next couple of years 🙌👏🥳📚 Photo credit: @davidbebber https://t.co/LK2c7KfBRN 8 hours ago
- And now, we celebrate 🎉 #ChildrensLaureate https://t.co/H2TMnsVrzZ 12 hours ago
- Here he is, our new #ChildrensLaureate @JosephACoelho 🎉🎉🎉 https://t.co/D2bcHwPs0C 12 hours ago
- TWO past @Waterstones Children’s Laureates alongside the brand new #ChildrensLaureate @JosephACoelho 😍😍 https://t.co/0LQzegfdCu 12 hours ago