The Duchess of Cornwall joins Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell MBE to open 'Life-changing Library' at Griffin Primary School in Wandsworth 22/06/2021
This morning, The Duchess of Cornwall joined Waterstones Children’s Laureate Cressida C...
Catherine Millar shares her tips on how small changes to the space can get children eng...
Assistant head Andy Young shares loads of fun and easy ways to bring reading to life an...
#PassThePen is an initiative from Cressida Cowell and BookTrust Represents to promote emerging authors and illustrators of colour working on children's books!
The fifth point on Cressida's Laureate Charter is that 'every child has the right to see themselves reflected in a book' - and so she's working to support new creators.
From 16-20 November 2020, up-and-coming authors and illustrators took over the Instagram accounts of famous names to introduce themselves, share their work, and discuss their inspirations.
Among the stars who handed over their social media were the likes of Nadiya Hussain, Dermot O'Leary, Greg James and Chris Smith and many more.
In this section
Everything you need to know about the laureateship and the current children's author in the role, Cressida Cowell.
Cressida Cowell is the number one bestselling author-illustrator of the How to Train Your Dragon and The Wizards of Once book series, and the author of the Emily Brown picture books, illustrated by Neal Layton.
Would you like to see Cressida Cowell and the former Waterstones Children's Laureates? If so, why not head along to one of a number of events this year.
Take a look at our League of Laureates: ten star authors and illustrators who have previously held the role.
Find out about everyone who supports the Waterstones Children's Laureate and makes the role possible.
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureate. Here's what we did to celebrate!
Celebrating 20 years of the Waterstones Children's Laureate
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureateship in the UK.
Laureate news and blogs
Fun activity sheets to try
Draw your dragon, give it a name and then those all-important vital statistics!
Colour in Hiccup and the headband and make your own crown to wear proudly!
Lots of game and activity suggestions to hold a fun How To Train Your Dragon event in y...
Add a splash of colour to Emily Brown and her rabbit - perfect for younger fans of Cres...
Collect lost and endangered words! Can you match these words with their meanings?
Laureate news on Twitter
- RT @CressidaCowell: I was lucky enough to contribute to this fascinating film from @bbcideas, presenting the case for why we absolutely can… 2 days ago
- RT @CressidaCowell: So lovely to meet @JanelleLMccurdy @alexsheppard @ClareWeze @CPillainayagam @elnorry_writer at @cheltlitfest green room… 4 days ago
- Celebrating poetry and the power of writing today with the @SENShowUK Poetry Competition ceremony! Congratulations to all winners - full details here https://t.co/mX4TlZW79i 🥳 https://t.co/BfEATmK7S1 7 days ago
- RT @Laureate_Wales: Today, on #NationalPoetryDay, @LitWales is proud to announce that the next Children’s Laureate Wales for 2021-2023 is p… 8 days ago
- RT @allicatski: It’s #LibrariesWeek - here’s @UKLaureate @CressidaCowell explaining why she’s campaigning with @Booktrust for ring-fenced f… 10 days ago