Find out about the the six schools taking part in Cressida Cowell's flagship project as...
Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell launches flagship Life-changing Libraries project 13/04/2021
Find out about Cressida Cowell's Life-changing Libraries project, which will transform ...
'Libraries change lives': Read Cressida Cowell's open letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson 13/04/2021
Read Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell's open letter to Prime Minister Bo...
#PassThePen is a brand new initiative from Cressida Cowell and BookTrust Represents to promote emerging authors and illustrators of colour working on children's books!
The fifth point on Cressida's Laureate Charter is that 'every child has the right to see themselves reflected in a book' - and so she's working to support new creators.
From 16-20 November, up-and-coming authors and illustrators will take over the Instagram account of famous names to introduce themselves, share their work, and discuss their inspirations.
Among the stars handing over their social media are the likes of Nadiya Hussain, Dermot O'Leary, Greg James and Chris Smith and many more.
In this section
Everything you need to know about the laureateship and the current children's author in the role, Cressida Cowell.
Cressida Cowell is the number one bestselling author-illustrator of the How to Train Your Dragon and The Wizards of Once book series, and the author of the Emily Brown picture books, illustrated by Neal Layton.
Would you like to see Cressida Cowell and the former Waterstones Children's Laureates? If so, why not head along to one of a number of events this year.
Take a look at our League of Laureates: ten star authors and illustrators who have previously held the role.
Find out about everyone who supports the Waterstones Children's Laureate and makes the role possible.
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureate. Here's what we did to celebrate!
Celebrating 20 years of the Waterstones Children's Laureate
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureateship in the UK.
Laureate news and blogs
Fun activity sheets to try
Draw your dragon, give it a name and then those all-important vital statistics!
Colour in Hiccup and the headband and make your own crown to wear proudly!
Lots of game and activity suggestions to hold a fun How To Train Your Dragon event in y...
Add a splash of colour to Emily Brown and her rabbit - perfect for younger fans of Cres...
Collect lost and endangered words! Can you match these words with their meanings?
Laureate news on Twitter
- This week we announced the exciting #LifeChangingLibraries project, led by Cressida Cowell! You can read more about this project AND read Cressida's powerful open letter to the PM calling for ring-fenced funding for primary school libraries here: https://t.co/Ww72UBqy5h https://t.co/I46ipZeRcj 3 days ago
- We are also too excited for you to try these out! #LifeChangingLibraries https://t.co/xUlvTseNah 3 days ago
- RT @JobtrainATS: As someone once said: “reading is to the mind what exercise is for the body” - we're delighted (and proud) that the Jobtra… 4 days ago
- Great article with @CressidaCowell here 👇👇 https://t.co/nRdOGEVrXT 4 days ago
- We CANNOT wait for the big reveal! #LifeChangingLibraries https://t.co/s3KOyrOoax 4 days ago