BookTrust regards the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as important to our successful operations and to the maintenance of confidence of those with whom we deal.
We will ensure that our staff and those acting on our behalf obtain, use and disclose personal information lawfully and correctly. To this end we fully endorse and adhere to the principles of data protection, as set out in the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the ‘Act’).
In particular we will:
- Observe the conditions in the Act regarding the fair collection and use of personal information (please see below regarding personal information collected via our website)
- Meet our legal obligations to specify the purposes for which we process personal information
- Collect and process appropriate personal information, only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil our operational needs or to comply with any legal requirement
- Ensure the accuracy of any personal information kept by us
- Apply checks to determine the length of time personal information is held by us
- Ensure that the rights of people about whom personal information is held, are able to be exercised fully under the Act
- Take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information
- Ascertain that personal information is not transferred outside the European Economic Area without suitable safeguards or agreement from the individual.
Collection of personal information
If we collect personal information via our website, prior to finally submitting any personal information to our website, we will endeavour to ensure that you are informed as to:
- The purpose for collecting the information
- What the information will be used for
- The identity of anyone else to whom the information will be given and what they will use it for
- How you can request copies of any personal information we hold on you.
Children (under 16)
- We do not ask children to disclose any more information than is reasonably necessary to enable them to particpate in an activity on our websites and to improve the website
Types of information we collect from children
- Competition entries - first name, surname, school, age, email address of their teacher. We’ll let teachers know if a pupil at their school has won and deliver the prize via the school, so no postal address is requested. If we publish the winner's information on the website then as part of the entry procedure we will inform the entrant that the personal information will be published at the time of collection of the information. We would publish first name, school and age in association with winning entries
- E-newsletters – we don’t email children directly
- Photographs - we do not publish photographs of children on our websites eg from events, without written consent from a parent or carer.
External website links
Please note that where our website contains links to other websites, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites and this statement applies solely to any personal information collected by our website.
IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information. We only use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer our website, track general user movements, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
- Improve your experience of our website by gathering statistics. We use Google Analytics to track how many individual unique users we have and how often they visit our websites. We collect data listing which of our pages are most frequently visited and by which types of users and from which countries.
- Remember your preferences when you register for services on the website.
You can turn cookies off but if you do this you may not be able to use all services on our websites. You will, however, still be able to view content.
For more information about cookies and how to manage them, including how to turn them off, please visit our page on Cookies.