Great Books Guide for families
Here you can find top tips on sharing stories with your family and discover our Great Books Guide Cymru, packed with over 100 recommendations of brilliant Welsh, English and bilingual books for children aged 4-11.
On this page you can:
- Watch our video about sharing books together once your child starts primary school
- Download our Great Books Guide Cymru, full of carefully selected reading recommendations
- Find fun competitions to enter to win books for your family
- Sign up for our Pori Drwy Stori newsletter
Great Books Guide Cymru
Over 100 expert reading recommendations for children aged 4-11 — there's something for everyone in the Great Books Guide Cymru!
Research shows that reading has some incredible benefits for children! Children who read are more likely to:
- Overcome disadvantage caused by inequalities
- Be healthier and happier children with better mental wellbeing and self-esteem
- Do better at school and make more progress across the curriculum
- Develop creativity and empathy
Learn more about Pori Drwy Stori. An exciting bilingual programme for children in Nursery and Reception, to support children’s literacy and numeracy, funded by the Welsh Government.
Looking for something fun as a family? We have stories to enjoy, rhymes and songs to share, and fun games and activities from some great authors, illustrators and storytellers from Wales.