Pori Drwy Stori for families
Pori Drwy Stori is an exciting programme based on books, stories and rhymes. Every 4- to 5-year-old in maintained schools will take part, with funding from the Welsh Government. BookTrust Cymru has worked with experts across Wales to develop resources for teachers, parents and carers and children.
Pori Drwy Stori will provide bilingual materials for schools and families:
- The Rhyme Challenge - Join us on a journey through rhymes and songs with the Pori Drwy Stori Rhyme Challenge! Have fun sharing rhymes and songs together and completing the challenge! Our Pori Drwy Stori explorers will help you!
- My Weather Watch Calendar – this is a family activity for the autumn half term break. Recording different types of weather will help children to develop their maths skills in the early years.
- Boomerang Book Bags - a set of book bags for children to take turns with at home, including a magazine for each child to keep.
- Hide and Sheep cards - each child will receive a set of Hide and Sheep cards to take home. There are lots of fun games to play with the cards both in the classroom and at home.
- My Book gives each child the chance to create their own book to keep
- The Unicorn's Challenge magazine – the fun activities in the magazine are linked to the Foundation Phase and created to be used with your child at the end of their Reception year. They encourage your child to speak, listen and make decisions.
We hope that your family will enjoy taking part in Pori Drwy Stori and will have fun together sharing a love of books, stories and rhymes.
Learning at home
Pori Drwy Stori can help your child gain confidence with words in a fun way. You can help your child to get the most out of Pori Drwy Stori by:
- Learning and saying or singing their rhymes as part of the Rhyme Challenge
- Reading and talking about books together at home
- Writing your own five star review of your child’s book that they’ve written and illustrated as part of My Book.
Using your library
Your local library will be able to give you lots of ideas and advice about great books to support your child’s learning. Libraries are open to everyone and are free to join, and books are free to borrow too and libraries no longer charge late fees for children's books.
Welsh Government initiatives
The Welsh Government's Education Begins at Home group provides information on how you can support your child at home and help their performance in school. Follow the group on Facebook.
Take Time to Talk, Listen and Play, encourages parents, carers and guardians to take time to talk, listen and play to help their child’s language development and communication skills. Find out more
Activities for families
A family activity for the autumn half-term break, including a weather record sheet, sum...
Download the Rhyme Challenge Booklets. For children to take home. These booklets includ...
The full set of Hide and Sheep cards for teachers to print out as additional sets for t...
This is a Pori Drwy Stori resource in English and Welsh for Reception classes in Wales....
A magazine in Welsh and English full of fun activities designed to be sent home with ch...
Watch or listen to the Rhyme Challenge rhymes
You can watch or listen to the Rhyme Challenge weekly rhymes here.
BookTrust Cymru HomeTime
Looking for something fun as a family? We have stories to enjoy, rhymes and songs to share, and fun games and activities from some great authors, illustrators and storytellers from Wales.