Applications now open: How to ace an author school visit training programme
Award-winning author Chitra Soundar to deliver workshops for debut authors and illustrators of colour
Both Alex Falase-Koya (L) and Tola Okogwu (R) attended a BookTrust Represents training workshop last year and are now giving fantastic school visits across the country
BookTrust Represents is offering a training programme to eight debut authors and illustrators of colour to help them prepare for author school visits.
The How to Ace an Author School Visit training programme is a FREE programme aimed at helping give new authors and illustrators the tools and skills they need to deliver a fantastic school visit (or festival/library visit).
Giving an author school visit is a golden opportunity to meet readers, hear what they think about your book and make some extra sales.
But the idea of stepping into a school for the first time in years can be daunting, especially as a debut author! With the right skills and preparation though, all writers can deliver a memorable and inspiring author visit.
In this three-part programme, Chitra Soundar will help you create an author visit that’s tailor-made for your books and your skillsets. You’ll have the opportunity to practice in front of your peers and receive valuable feedback and you’ll also get a chance to deliver your presentation to a small group of young people.
Author Chitra Soundar will be delivering the workshops
Programme outline including dates
We can offer the How to Ace an Author School Visit programme to eight UK-based authors/illustrators of colour. The training programme will consist of two workshops:
May 27th 2023 10am – 1pm
- An intro to author school visits:
- What is an author visit and why are they important?
- How to get booked and how to prepare
- Fees, travel expenses, invoices
- Workshop on how to shape your presentation based on your style, personality and the themes of your book. You’ll be given homework which will need to be completed before Workshop 2.
July 22nd 2023, 10am – 1pm
- Performance of draft presentation
- Feedback from Chitra Soundar + peers
- Workshop to develop an activity based on your book
Once you’re comfortable with your material and you’ve developed it as best you can, we will help you to arrange a mini visit in front of a small group of young people for you to practice with. This may take place in a local library, youth group, a school or our BookTrust office.
Terms and conditions
To earn a spot on the programme you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be published by a UK-based publisher
- Must have at least one book published by the time the course starts
- Book must have been published between January 2020 – May 2023
- Must be available to travel to London on Saturday 27th May and Saturday 22nd July
- Must commit to attending both workshops and completing all tasks given (including homework)
The application deadline is April 14th 2023.