Blue Peter celebrates 20 years of favourite children’s books – time to pick a winner!
Published on: 20 February 2020 Author: BookTrust
Blue Peter, in partnership with BookTrust, the UK’s largest children’s reading charity, will celebrate 20 years of brilliant children’s books by asking the audience to vote for their favourite Blue Peter Book Award winning title from the last two decades.
From a sensational top ten shortlist of previous Blue Peter Book Award winners viewers from across the UK will have the opportunity to choose their favourite title on the Blue Peter website. The results will be announced alongside the winners of the 2020 Awards live on Blue Peter’s World Book Day special, on Thursday 5th March 2020 at 5.30pm on CBBC.
The shortlist features some of the biggest names in children’s literature. Only one will be crowned the winner and receive an exclusive trophy.
The shortlisted books are:
• The Boy at the Back of the Class – Onjali Q. Raúf
• The Gruffalo – Julia Donaldson, illustrated by Axel Scheffler
• Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – J. K. Rowling
• Matilda – Roald Dahl, illustrated by Quentin Blake
• Mortal Engines - Philip Reeve
• The Outlaw Varjak Paw – SF Said, illustrated by Dave McKean
• Private Peaceful – Michael Morpurgo
• Rooftoppers – Katherine Rundell
• The Story of Tracy Beaker - Jacqueline Wilson, illustrated by Nick Sharratt
• You’re a Bad Man, Mr Gum – Andy Stanton
The vote opens on Thursday 20 February 2020 at 5.30pm and closes on Monday 2 March 2020 at 12 noon.
The shortlist was created by a panel of 20 experts who have previously been involved with the awards, including Kirsten Grant, Director of World Book Day, Jim Sells, Programme Manager at National Literacy Trust and Florentyna Martin, Children’s Book Buyer at Waterstones, who voted to select their favourite titles from all the winners from the last 20 years.
Blue Peter Editor, Ellen Evans, says:
'I am really excited about the 20th Anniversary of the Blue Peter book awards. It’s brilliant to look back at the amazing titles and authors and illustrators that the awards have celebrated. I hope the 10 that are shortlisted give kids some great ideas about books they might want to read, and I can’t wait to see which is their favourite.'
You can vote on the Blue Peter website from 5.30pm on Thursday, 20 February until Monday, 2 March at 12 noon. Blue Peter is live on CBBC on Thursdays at 5.30pm.
Full press release available here.