#PassThePen is a brand new initiative from Cressida Cowell and BookTrust Represents to promote emerging authors and illustrators of colour working on children's books!
The fifth point on Cressida's Laureate Charter is that 'every child has the right to see themselves reflected in a book' - and so she's working to support new creators.
From 16-20 November, up-and-coming authors and illustrators will take over the Instagram account of famous names to introduce themselves, share their work, and discuss their inspirations.
Among the stars handing over their social media are the likes of Nadiya Hussain, Dermot O'Leary, Greg James and Chris Smith and many more.
In this section
Everything you need to know about the laureateship and the current children's author in the role, Cressida Cowell.
Cressida Cowell is the number one bestselling author-illustrator of the How to Train Your Dragon and The Wizards of Once book series, and the author of the Emily Brown picture books, illustrated by Neal Layton.
Would you like to see Cressida Cowell and the former Waterstones Children's Laureates? If so, why not head along to one of a number of events this year.
Take a look at our League of Laureates: ten star authors and illustrators who have previously held the role.
Find out about everyone who supports the Waterstones Children's Laureate and makes the role possible.
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureate. Here's what we did to celebrate!
Celebrating 20 years of the Waterstones Children's Laureate
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureateship in the UK.
Laureate news and blogs
Fun activity sheets to try
Draw your dragon, give it a name and then those all-important vital statistics!
Colour in Hiccup and the headband and make your own crown to wear proudly!
Lots of game and activity suggestions to hold a fun How To Train Your Dragon event in y...
Add a splash of colour to Emily Brown and her rabbit - perfect for younger fans of Cres...
Collect lost and endangered words! Can you match these words with their meanings?
Laureate news on Twitter
- RT @CressidaCowell: Happy Monday! I'm reading the HttyDragon series from my writing shed which you can access FREE from my Youtube. Chapter… 8 hours ago
- RT @CressidaCowell: Happy Friday! I'm reading the HttyDragon series from my writing shed which you can access FREE from my Youtube. Chapter… 3 days ago
- RT @HHDayUK: The incredible @CressidaCowell @UKLaureate will be reading the winning entry of the Young Wild Writer Competition on Hen Harr… 4 days ago
- RT @CressidaCowell: A CONGRATULATIONS message to all the Year Six-ers leaving primary school this week… lots of love and have a wonderful s… 10 days ago
- RT @WoodchurchCofE: Vanessa (a reading ambassador) has kindly written to the Turn the Page book shop to thank them for our new mental healt… 14 days ago