#PassThePen is a brand new initiative from Cressida Cowell and BookTrust Represents to promote emerging authors and illustrators of colour working on children's books!
The fifth point on Cressida's Laureate Charter is that 'every child has the right to see themselves reflected in a book' - and so she's working to support new creators.
From 16-20 November, up-and-coming authors and illustrators will take over the Instagram account of famous names to introduce themselves, share their work, and discuss their inspirations.
Among the stars handing over their social media are the likes of Nadiya Hussain, Dermot O'Leary, Greg James and Chris Smith and many more.
From 6 - 10 July, Cressida held a week of ‘Summer Camp’ activity celebrating children’s innate creativity and showcasing the enormous wealth of talent across the UK.
Cressida was joined by an all-star line-up of leading authors and illustrators – including Eoin Colfer, Theresa Lola and Rob Biddulph – to encourage young creatives with writing workshops, drawing masterclasses and much more.
Catch up on the fun below!
Please note: We sometimes link to third party sites, including YouTube, so children should not use Cressida's Creativity Summer Camp unsupervised.
In this section
Everything you need to know about the laureateship and the current children's author in the role, Cressida Cowell.
Cressida Cowell is the number one bestselling author-illustrator of the How to Train Your Dragon and The Wizards of Once book series, and the author of the Emily Brown picture books, illustrated by Neal Layton.
Would you like to see Cressida Cowell and the former Waterstones Children's Laureates? If so, why not head along to one of a number of events this year.
Take a look at our League of Laureates: ten star authors and illustrators who have previously held the role.
Find out about everyone who supports the Waterstones Children's Laureate and makes the role possible.
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureate. Here's what we did to celebrate!
Celebrating 20 years of the Waterstones Children's Laureate
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureateship in the UK.
Laureate news and blogs
Fun activity sheets to try
Draw your dragon, give it a name and then those all-important vital statistics!
Colour in Hiccup and the headband and make your own crown to wear proudly!
Lots of game and activity suggestions to hold a fun How To Train Your Dragon event in y...
Add a splash of colour to Emily Brown and her rabbit - perfect for younger fans of Cres...
Collect lost and endangered words! Can you match these words with their meanings?
Laureate news on Twitter
- RT @Booktrust: We told you we'd get you through Monday - and Cressida Cowell's on board, too! Here she is reading the next chapter of The W… 5 days ago
- And that's a wrap for #PassthePen, but we hope you'll keep an eye on what ALL the authors and illustrators are up to. HUGE thanks to @CressidaCowell for amplifying the importance of representation in children's books! Here's a handy booklist 👇📚 https://t.co/LItpAjbOCq https://t.co/nwodVDDQCR 8 days ago
- RT @RashmiWriting: I’ve had some amazing non-bookish news and I am SO HAPPY! It’s also my turn in #PassThePen 🎉 so keep an eye on @holly_bo… 8 days ago
- RT @CressidaCowell: Some thankyous...#PassthePen @Booktrust https://t.co/ULnOKrBiY8 8 days ago
- RT @CressidaCowell: It’s the last day of #PassthePen so maybe head over to Instagram to see what’s happening...a bit here about #PassthePen… 8 days ago