#PassThePen is an initiative from Cressida Cowell and BookTrust Represents to promote emerging authors and illustrators of colour working on children's books!
The fifth point on Cressida's Laureate Charter is that 'every child has the right to see themselves reflected in a book' - and so she's working to support new creators.
From 16-20 November 2020, up-and-coming authors and illustrators took over the Instagram accounts of famous names to introduce themselves, share their work, and discuss their inspirations.
Among the stars who handed over their social media were the likes of Nadiya Hussain, Dermot O'Leary, Greg James and Chris Smith and many more.
In this section
Everything you need to know about the laureateship and the current children's author in the role, Cressida Cowell.
Cressida Cowell is the number one bestselling author-illustrator of the How to Train Your Dragon and The Wizards of Once book series, and the author of the Emily Brown picture books, illustrated by Neal Layton.
Would you like to see Cressida Cowell and the former Waterstones Children's Laureates? If so, why not head along to one of a number of events this year.
Take a look at our League of Laureates: ten star authors and illustrators who have previously held the role.
Find out about everyone who supports the Waterstones Children's Laureate and makes the role possible.
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureate. Here's what we did to celebrate!
Celebrating 20 years of the Waterstones Children's Laureate
In 2019, we reached a milestone: the 20th anniversary of the Waterstones Children's Laureateship in the UK.
Laureate news and blogs
Fun activity sheets to try
Draw your dragon, give it a name and then those all-important vital statistics!
Colour in Hiccup and the headband and make your own crown to wear proudly!
Lots of game and activity suggestions to hold a fun How To Train Your Dragon event in y...
Add a splash of colour to Emily Brown and her rabbit - perfect for younger fans of Cres...
Collect lost and endangered words! Can you match these words with their meanings?
Laureate news on Twitter
- RT @CressidaCowell: Absolutely THRILLED that our #PassthePen initiative is going to be part of the @WorldBookDayUK 25 year celebrations, se… 19 hours ago
- RT @EmilyDrabs: So excited about #PassthePen being part of @WorldBookDayUK 25 year celebrations! #BookTrustRepresents @Booktrust check out… 19 hours ago
- RT @southbankcentre: BLOG | We caught up with the much-loved children’s author and Children’s Laureate (@UKLaureate) 👩👩👧👦, Jacqueline Wi… 7 days ago
- This is guaranteed to be a brilliant event! It's online, so if you're free on 3 Feb and love school libraries, this one is for you! 📚📚📚 #lifechanginglibraries https://t.co/FOe1TnZidQ 9 days ago
- This library looks incredible 😍😍 https://t.co/ZqlUyTnYfU 19 days ago