School Library Pack
In 2013/14 we once again offered every secondary school in England the free School Library Pack.
This is a free pack of books and resources to support staff to create a reading culture that reaches all students, encouraging students to discuss what they are reading and join in activities such as reading groups.
The School Library Pack is available free of charge to any school or education provider in England with Year 7 students. The programme is funded by the Department for Education, and generously supported by children's book publishers.
Packs were dispatched to registered schools in October. A second delivery took place in the spring term.
Registration has now closed for 2013-14
In 2013/14 more than 4,440 schools received the pack.
'It was exciting to receive such a great pack of books which has enabled us to further support reading groups and added new vibrant stock to our library.'
Each pack for mainstream schools will contain:
Six copies each of:
- The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan
- Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
- Mister Creecher by Chris Priestley
- Goblins by Philip Reeve
- Now is the Time for Running by Michael Williams
Supported by specially commissioned Reading Group Guides
Reluctant reader titles
One copy each of
- Dream to Win: Jessica Ennis by Roy Apps (Hachette)
- Ninja: Death Touch by Chris Bradford (Barrington Stoke)
- Drawing a Veil by Lari Don (Bloomsbury)
- Breaking the Rules by Maxine Linnell (Bloomsbury)
- Secret FC by Tom Palmer (Barrington Stoke)
- Jungle Survival: The Wimp's Guide by Tracey Turner (Hachette)
Short story collections
One copy each of:
- War: Stories of Conflict edited by Michael Morpurgo (Macmillan)
- Haunted (Andersen)
- Survival (Usborne True Stories) by Paul Dowswell (Usborne)
- All in the Family edited by Tony Bradman (Bloomsbury)
- King Arthur and a World of Other Stories by Geraldine McCaughrean (Orion)
A separate pack is available for special schools, containing titles selected in consultation with practitioners working in specials schools, including:
- No! by Marta Altes
- Ding Dong Bell, What's That Funny Smell? by Laurence Anholt and Arthur Robins
- Dream to Win: Jessica Ennis by Roy Apps
- See Inside Noisy Castles by Katie Daynes and David Hancock
- Tyrannosaurus Drip (Book and CD) by Julia Donaldson and David Roberts
- Just Imagine by Pippa Goodhart and Nick Sharratt
- What's the Time, Mr Wolf? by Annie Kubler
- The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney
- Web by Alison Prince
- Jungle Survival: The Wimp's Guide by Tracey Turner
For more information about the School Library Pack please contact us by emailing email@example.com