100 best books
This is our list of the 100 best books for children from the last 100 years. It is the ultimate booklist to read before you're 14.
The list by age group
Our list, chosen by experts, has been broken down into four age bands, with 25 titles in each band. Take a look at the lists and read our reviews of the 100 best books for children.
- Best books for 0-5 year olds
- Best books for 6-8 year olds
- Best books for 9-11 year olds
- Best books for 12-14 year olds and beyond
The nation's favourites
We also asked the nation to vote for their favourite top 10 from these 100 best books and here is the definitive ranking:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The BFG by Roald Dahl, illustrated by Quentin Blake
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Winnie-the-Pooh by A A Milne, illustrated by E H Shepherd
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr Seuss
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J R R Tolkien
- Charlotte's Web by E B White
- Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C S Lewis
Download the poster showing our 100 best children's books - that's 100 books to read before you're 14!
The best new children's books.
With your help we made a list of the 100 best children's books from the past 100 years. Take the quizzes below to see how many you've read!