Everything you need to know about Pyjamarama
BookTrust is the UK’s largest children’s reading charity. Each year we reach millions of children across the UK with books, resources, and support to transform lives by getting children and families reading.
We want all families to have access to reading, which is why we also deliver more targeted programmes aimed at helping those who need us most.
Pyjamarama is a fundraising initiative organised by BookTrust in England, Wales and Northern Ireland where children donate £1 to wear their pyjamas for a day whilst celebrating the bedtime story through a host of fun reading activities.
Once registered, you will receive a series of emails giving you inspiration and ideas for ways to get involved. We will also send you a free downloadable fundraising pack containing everything you’ll need to organise your Pyjamarama day.
Pyjamarama day will take place on Friday 13 May 2022 or, if you prefer, you can choose a date that works for you.
We ask that everyone registers if they want to take part as this will give you access to a series of emails containing ideas and inspiration for ways to get involved. It will also help us understand the number of people who will be taking part this year.
Everyone who registers will be given a unique registration number, which you will need if you make an enquiry or when you come to pay in the money you have raised. Your number will be included on your registration email so please do keep it safe.
Money raised by Pyjamarama will help us in our work to make sure every child gets a bedtime story. For example:
- £25 could provide 15 preschool children living in deprived communities with books and guidance to get them started on their reading journey
- £50 could provide a primary school class of children with their own book parcel to take home and share
- £100 could help us work with a struggling secondary school to support teenagers to re-engage with reading
It’s easy to get involved with Pyjamarama! Just follow the link below to register your school/nursery and sign up to receive your free downloadable fundraising pack. The pack will contain all the information and resources you need to arrange your very own day of story-filled Pyjamarama activities. Please use a school or nursery email address to register.
Please note: parents/carers cannot sign up on behalf of a school/nursery. This will need to be completed by a member of staff at the school or nursery.
You can also sign up to get involved with Pyjamarama! Just follow the link below and insert your details to receive your free downloadable fundraising pack.
We understand that not everyone will want to wear PJs but will still want to get involved. That’s fine! That’s what Pyjamarama is all about – everyone getting together to share stories.
So instead of PJs, why not encourage children to wear a colourful T-shirt, instead? It doesn’t matter what it is, we just want everyone to get involved and spend the day enjoying stories
This year, we want to make the event more sustainable and we will send everyone a downloadable pack. The downloadable packs will contain lots of useful information, tips and advice on how to organise your day. Packs will include:
- Information sheets giving you all the information you need to organise your Pyjamarama day
- Ideas, tips and inspiration for classroom activities
- Fundraising ideas and information on how to send in the money you raise
- Event posters which you can print out and adapt for your school/nursery
- A selection of activity sheets for you to photocopy
- Certificates to print out and give out to the children
- A letter and email template you can use to send details about the day to parents/carers.
Links to packs will be sent out before Easter 2022.
Yes, there will be additional content on our website which you will be able to download before Easter.
There are many ways for you to donate. They include:
- By credit or debit card on our website
- By PayPal on our website
- Through JustGiving
- By cheque, made payable to BookTrust and sent to: Fundraising Team, BookTrust, G8 Battersea Studios, 80 Silverthorne Road, London SW8 3HE
- Through the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) – charity number 313343
- By BACS transfer – email email@example.com for our account details
- Phone the Fundraising team on 020 7801 8844, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Whichever way you choose to donate, please include your Fundraising Reference Number, which you can find on your registration email.
How your money helps
Naomi grew up in a household with few books. When Naomi started her own family, she came across BookTrust’s Bookstart programme and was told about the importance of reading with her baby from the start. As soon as her daughter was born, Naomi made sure there was always time to snuggle up and read together, and her daughter who is now six, is an avid reader and always has a book on the go. Naomi has seen how reading takes her into imaginary worlds and helps her deal with everyday worries and is amazed how it is also helping her to do well in all subjects at school.
Not all children get the same opportunity as Naomi’s daughter and through Pyjamarama we want to help support the children who are at risk of missing out on the joy and confidence that bedtime stories provide.