Everything you need to know about Pyjamarama
BookTrust is dedicated to getting children reading because we know that children who read are happier, healthier, more empathetic and more creative. Their early language development is supported and they also do better at school.
BookTrust is the UK’s largest children’s reading charity. We are dedicated to getting children reading. Each year we reach 3.9 million children across the UK with books, resources and support to help develop a love of reading.
We get children reading in lots of different ways, but our priority is to get more children excited about books, rhymes and stories – because if reading is fun, children will want to do it. We run nationwide programmes – like our flagship programme Bookstart. We reach millions of families across the country each year with books, resources and advice to encourage parents and carers to start reading with their babies right from the beginning.
Find out more about BookTrust and the work we do here.
Pyjamarama is a mass-participation fundraising initiative by BookTrust in England and Northern Ireland where children pay £1 to wear their pyjamas for a day whilst celebrating the bedtime story through a host of fun activities.
Click here to sign up for your free fundraising and activity pack, and check back in to the website over the coming months for inspiration and ideas.
Pyjamarama is on Friday 5 June 2020 but we are celebrating the bedtime story all week from Monday 1 June 2020.
Money raised by Pyjamarama will help us in our work to make sure every child gets a bedtime story. For example:
- £25 could provide 10 pre-school children who are vulnerable with their own book pack
- £50 could provide 6 families from deprived communities with additional support through their children’s centre to develop a reading habit
- £100 could help us work with a struggling secondary school to support teenagers to re-engage with reading
- £1,000 could enable us to support 49 children with a disability that impacts motor skills, providing them with specially created touch-and-feel books, finger puppets and guidance for parents.
It’s easy to get involved with Pyjamarama! Just follow the links below to register your school/nursery and sign up to receive your free fundraising and activity pack.
The pack will contain all the information and resources you need to arrange your very own fun Pyjamarama, with lots of hints and tips on how to get all the children in your class or group involved.
Please note: you must be a member of staff at a school or nursery in order to sign up your organisation to Pyjamarama. Please use a school or nursery email address to register.
Pyjamarama fundraising packs can only be posted to schools or nurseries in the UK.
It’s easy to get involved with Pyjamarama! Follow the link below to register and you will receive the appropriate fundraising and activity pack for you to take part.
The pack will contain all the information you need to arrange your very own fun day in pyjamas, with lots of hints and tips on how to get everyone involved.
We know that not everyone has PJs, or may not want to wear PJs, but still want to join the fun. That’s great! That’s what Pyjamarama is all about - everyone getting together to have fun.
So instead of PJs, why not encourage children to bring in a favourite teddy, wear slippers, wear a colourful T-shirt, bring in a favourite night-time book or just wear a Pyjamarama sticker from your fundraising pack? It doesn’t matter what it is, we just want you to have fun.
This year, there will be two different packs, one for early years and one for primary schools.
Packs will include:
- A welcome letter and leaflet with lots of hints and tips
- Event posters which you can adapt for your organisation
- A letter you can photocopy/scan and send home to parents, explaining what Pyjamarama is all about
- Activity sheets for you to photocopy and use on the day
- Pyjamarama stickers to wear on the day
- A donation box or stickers to put on a jar or box yourself
- Information about how to return the money you’ve raised, and a stamped addressed envelope
If you register as 'Everyone else', you will have access to the primary pack, which also includes information and activities for early years.
Click here to register for Pyjamarama 2020.
Packs will begin to be sent out from mid-March 2020. Depending on when you signed up, packs will arrive between March and May 2020.
If you have signed up for a downloadable pack, we'll send you an email to access your pack on our website from mid-March.
Yes, there will be additional content on our website which you will be able to download.
There are many ways for you to donate, they include:
- By credit or debit card on our website
- By PayPal on our website
- Through Just Giving
- By cheque, made payable to BookTrust and sent to: Fundraising Team, BookTrust, G8 Battersea Studios, 80 Silverthorne Road, London SW8 3HE
- Through the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) – charity number 313343
- By BACS transfer – email firstname.lastname@example.org for our account details
- Phone the Fundraising team on 020 7801 8844, or email us at email@example.com
Whichever way you choose to donate, please include your Pyjamarama registration number, which you can find on your registration email. Schools and nurseries will also have this number included on the welcome letter included in their fundraising pack.
Adding Gift Aid to a donation means that as a charity, BookTrust can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you give from the government in the form of tax relief. It will not cost you anything extra.
To claim Gift Aid on a donation, donors need to be a UK tax payer and we need donors to sign a consent form that gives us permission to make a claim.
Important note: BookTrust is unable to claim Gift Aid without your consent and address details.