Tips for reluctant readers
Published on: 7 Tachwedd 2016 Author: Cressida Cowell
In this week's vlog I'm going to talk about reluctant readers.
It can be hard to engage reluctant readers with books and reading. Books can seem like something quite boring to children compared to something quite visual like television, so you need to choose books that'll excite them. The most important thing is getting a child excited in reading, whatever it is.
Here are some tips that have helped me with reluctant readers:
- Use visual books e.g. the Tom Gates books or Captain Underpants
- Read funny books. I recommend Calvin and Hobbes or The Beano
- Find anything a child is already into e.g. Star Wars
- Engage them with fact books
- Experiment with all sorts of books to see what works
Watch my full vlog below to get more tips and to find out more about to how to engage reluctant readers with reading and books.
Check out Cressida's book
Author: Cressida Cowell
This is the final instalment in the How to Train Your Dragon series and it packs an emotional punch. It brings together every adventure Hiccup and his friends have had, as well as reintroducing old characters and tying up loose ends.
More from Cressida's time as Writer in Residence.