BookTrust helps CBeebies update their Storytime app to support families on their reading journeys
Published on: 14 Gorffennaf 2021
BookTrust has helped CBeebies with their all-new Storytime app, which is launching today.
Today (14 July) sees the launch of a newly updated CBeebies Storytime app which BBC Children's have developed with the support of BookTrust.
The partnership with the BBC is part of BookTrust's work to extend families' access to books via a range of touchpoints and support their reading journeys.
The CBeebies Storytime app encourages a love of stories in early years and supports literacy, vocabulary and reading skills.
Children and parents can enjoy ten new interactive stories in the new look app, from celebrated children's authors including Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell, Destynee Onwochei and Olly Pike.
The new stories celebrate diversity and inclusivity to better reflect the lives of all children from across the UK. The app has also been updated to make it easier to use for young children, with a brand new look and stories full of playful interactions.
Helping families develop a love of reading and stories
'I'm delighted to support the CBeebies Storytime app and to make the magic of books accessible to as many children as possible,' said Cressida.
'Countless studies show that reading for pleasure develops creativity, empathy and intelligence, and is crucial for future academic success, mental health and even later economic success. This new CBeebies Storytime app will help even more children develop a life-long love of books.'
Meanwhile, Rachel Bardill, Executive Editor, BBC Children’s, said: 'CBeebies Storytime is all about inspiring a love of stories for every child – something that’s so crucial for improving literacy, vocabulary and reading skills.
'Whether it’s ramping up morning energy levels to prime minds for learning, or to help wind down at the end of the day, there’s stories for everyone and every occasion.
'We’re excited to be bringing lots of great stories to the app from some incredibly talented authors and illustrators, and we hope there’s some new favourites that little ones, parents and guardians will all enjoy.'
The current stories available on CBeebies Storytime include:
- Goodnight, Friends (Moon and Me) – narrated by Nina Sosanya, written by Andrew Davenport and illustrated by Mariko Umeda
- Friends, Always (Moon and Me) – narrated by Nina Sosanya, written by Andrew Davenport and illustrated by Mariko Umeda
- It’s Time for Carnival (JoJo & Gran Gran) – narrated by Llewella Gideon and written by Lucia Haynes
- Little Bo Peep’s Library Book – narrated by Matthew Lewis, written and illustrated by Cressida Cowell
- Mr Tumble at the Beach – illustrated by Sarah Rees
- Olanna’s Super Senses – narrated by Sarah Amankwah, written by Destynee Onwochei and illustrated by Noriko Matsubara
- Pinchy the Dragon – written and narrated by Olly Pike and illustrated by James Munro
- The Tale of the Unexpected Discovery (Peter Rabbit) – narrated by Ben Bailey-Smith and written by Mandy Archer
- Today I am Five and a Half – narrated by Pippa Bennett-Warner, written by Caleb Femi and illustrated by Mark Bird
- Treasure Hunt Day (Love Monster) – narrated by Tamsin Greig and written by Sophie Dutton
CBeebies Storytime is available to download for free from the Apple, Google Play and Amazon app stores.
Looking for something fun as a family? Enjoy storytime with our free online books and videos, play games, win prizes, test your knowledge in our book-themed quizzes, or even learn how to draw some of your favourite characters.