22 inspirational Dr Seuss quotes that you really need in your life
Published on: 2 Mawrth 2017 Author: Catriona Wightman
Dr Seuss is one of the most legendary children's authors ever, and he's having a very big month.
Image TM & © Dr. Seuss Enterprises, L.P. 2017
Not only is 2 March the anniversary of Dr Seuss' birth, but The Cat in the Hat celebrates 60 years since it was first published on 12 March, so of course we had to celebrate.
And what better way to do that than by returning to the classics? We re-read some of our favourite Dr Seuss masterpieces to pick out the inspirational quotes that will motivate you, make you think... and give you a bit of a giggle too.
1. When all you want to do is read a good book
Here's evidence from a doctor (even if not exactly a real one) that reading can transport you around the world. We need no further excuse to head to the library (especially because, as Dr Seuss points out, 'You have to be a speedy reader 'cause there's so, so much to read!')
2. Why you should treat everyone with kindness
We could all do with being a bit more like Horton.
3. For when you're feeling nostalgic
There's more joy ahead - Dr Seuss says so.
4. When you feel like over-indulging
Don't say we didn't warn you. You don't want to be Silly Sammy Slick.
5. For those times you need a bit of a nudge
Your destiny is in your hands. Exciting, isn't it?
6. When you feel like abusing your power
Sure, it might be nice to be in charge... but ignore the little guys propping you up at your peril. We don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that Yertle the Turtle found this out the hard way.
7. On those gloomy days
There's always a bright side.
8. When you need to be inspired
'THINK! You can think any THINK that you wish...'
9. When you're having a bad day in the mirror
A welcome reminder that you're lovely just the way you are - don't go changing.
10. For those tricky dilemmas
Don't end up so torn that you end up empty-handed... take inspiration from this little guy choosing a pet ('I will make up the mind that is up in my head.')
11. When you need cheering up
It could always be worse.
12. For those times you really just need someone to go away
We all have them.
13. When you're feeling powerless
The smallest thing can make the biggest difference. Forget the flap of a butterfly's wings - we much prefer world-altering burps.
14. If you're glued to your phone
Look around - there's so much to see.
15. When you just need some good old-fashioned motivation
(But want to remain realistic.)
16. When you're feeling uninspired
You can make anything more exciting with a bit of effort (or a lot of effort in the case of Peter T. Hooper, who was probably very, very hungry by the time he'd collected his breakfast eggs from Twiddler Owls, Kweets and Stroodels among others).
17. To remind people that everyone is equal
The Star-Belly Sneetches might have sniffed at the Plain-Belly Sneetches... but they soon discovered that they're all really the same. We could all learn from that.
18. When things have been getting you down
As Dr Seuss points out, 'there are troubles of more than one kind - some come from ahead and some come from behind'. You can try to run from them, or you can stand up and fight...
19. When you want to save the world
Everyone deserves to be free.
20. When you think you don't matter
You really do - Dr Seuss says so.
21. For those times you need reminding that you're special
You really are unique.
22. And, of course, for Christmas time...
If The Grinch can grow his heart by three sizes, all of us can.