100 best children's books
This is our list of the 100 best books for children from the last 100 years: the ultimate booklist to read before you're 14.
In 2015, a team of experts put together this list: broken down into four age bands, with 25 titles in each band.
See what made it into the 100 best books for children
Read our reviews for all of the books, split up into age range.
Take a look at our pick of the best books for 0-5 year olds from the last 100 years.
Take a look at our pick of the best books for 6-8 year olds from the last 100 years.
Take a look at our pick of the best books for 9-11 year olds from the last 100 years.
Take a look at our pick of the best books for 12-14 year olds from the last 100 years.
We also asked the nation to vote for their favourite top 10 from these 100 best books and here is the definitive ranking:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- The BFG by Roald Dahl, illustrated by Quentin Blake
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Winnie-the-Pooh by A A Milne, illustrated by E H Shepherd
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr Seuss
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J R R Tolkien
- Charlotte's Web by E B White
- Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C S Lewis
Great Books Guide
Your guide to our favourite children's books from the past year: download as a PDF or find online booklists for ages 4-5, 6-7 and 8+.
Best New Books
Every month, we review new books - and here are the ones we like best of all at the moment.