Fun at home with stories, rhymes and songs
Authors, illustrators and local organisations have loads of way to keep your children entertained at home! We’ve pulled them into one handy list to help you out…
- Libraries NI have a fantastic area of their website for children, with the Rub a Dub Hub for early years and great recommendations for children and teen reads.
- Members can also download audiobooks, ebooks and magazines for free
- NI Children’s Writing Fellow Kelly McCaughrain blogs at The Blank Page, sharing her top tips for creative writing and recommended reads, with guest posts from Myra Zepf, Shirley-Anne McMillan and Caroline Busher.
- WellRead is a website that helps you to nurture your child’s emotional health & wellbeing by reading enjoyable stories together & having rich, purposeful, guided conversation.
- While the Fighting Words programme of free creative writing workshops is suspended they are continuing to find ways to create stories together. Life feels very different – and they’re finding ways of expressing that! Check out what they’re doing for #GlobalWritingLockdown, their Un-School Club (fully digital writing fun for children aged 6-17 in Ireland) and check out their Facebook for information about workshops in the new school year, and to announce more virtual, collaborative writing projects for young people to engage with.
BookTrust NI on Twitter and Facebook
The BookTrust NI team are tweeting daily, keeping you up to date with new activities, exciting competitions and of course, our favourite books to share! You can also follow us on Facebook. Make sure you're connected with us.
More HomeTime Fun
Word searches, puzzles, colouring sheets and lots of creative inspiration. Print out our activity sheets to keep boredom at bay and have fun together.
Test your knowledge of children's books with our fun quizzes - from Harry Potter in translation to nursery rhymes.
Create your own Rhymetime together with our rhyme playlists and matching rhyme sheets.
More HomeTime fun from across the UK
Looking for something fun as a family? Enjoy storytime with our free online books and videos, play games, win prizes, test your knowledge in our book-themed quizzes, or even learn how to draw some of your favourite characters.