Reading Spaces: win a BookSpace reading corner set for your classroom worth up to £1,500
To celebrate 20 years of the Waterstones Children’s Laureate, we have a great prize for primary schools, sponsored by BookSpace, the UK’s leading designers of primary school libraries.
Get ready for a sensational prize: we're giving three winning schools a reading corner set from BookSpace, plus prizes for lots of runners-up.
The competition will be judged by all ten Laureates: Quentin Blake, Anne Fine, Michael Morpurgo, Michael Rosen, Jacqueline Wilson, Anthony Browne, Julia Donaldson, Malorie Blackman, Chris Riddell and the current Waterstones Children’s Laureate, Lauren Child.
What do you need to do?
We want children from primary schools to share their ideas of what the best reading space in a classroom might look like!
They can be as imaginative as they like. There might be aliens in the reading corner, dogs reading books out loud, it might be up a tree or in the future! We’re looking for the most creative drawings, paintings or collages that show all types of reading spaces. The only thing the designs MUST include are books!
What will you win?
We’ve teamed up with BookSpace to provide the top three winning schools a beautiful reading corner set for their classroom worth up to £1,500. These gorgeous sets of book shelves and soft seating come in a range of colours and designs so the school can pick a set that suits their classroom.
Take a look at all the options – they really will create a wonderful book corner to read in.
Have a look at some reading corner bundles
But the prizes don’t stop there: the top 20 entries will win their schools an incredible selection of books by the Laureates (up to 30 books), including two copies of the brand-new book Flights of Fancy (Walker Books), created by all ten Children’s Laureates to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
These books would make a fabulous addition to any classroom’s book corner or to start a library where there wasn’t one before!
Lastly, 100 highly commended schools will also win two copies of Flights of Fancy: one for the child who created the school reading corner idea and one copy for the school to share.
- To enter the competition, primary school aged children need to draw/design/paint/collage their perfect classroom reading space: 2D designs only and no bigger than A3
- All entries must be via a school and teachers/staff can either enter the drawings from their whole class or choose the best pictures to send
- Don’t forget to write the name of the child, their age, their school and school address, teacher and teacher contact details on EVERY entry you send in
- We would also like the adult who enters the competition to tell us why they love books and think school reading corners are such a good idea. What difference will winning the prize mean to them? Teachers can write their message in under 300 words, or send us a short video or audio recording if they prefer. The competition will be based on the artwork but this information from teachers may be used for promotional purposes
- Prizes will be won by the school, who can decide which class/classes will receive the books and reading corner furniture
- The deadline is 3 May 2019 at 5pm
How to enter:
Teachers and school staff can send us entries by primary school aged children (see terms and conditions, below).
Note: entries cannot be returned so if you are sending by post, you will not get your entry back. Entries can be sent by post or by email. All pictures must include the name and age of the child, their teacher, their school, school address and teacher’s contact details.
- Entries by post to Reading Spaces competition, BookTrust, G8 Battersea Studios, 80 Silverthorne Road, Battersea, London SW8 3HE
- Or scan entries in and send by email to email@example.com with the heading "Reading Spaces competition".
Terms and conditions
1. To enter the competition, you must be a resident of England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland
2. The competition is not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of BookTrust
3. This competition is for primary schools only; each school may enter as few or as many pictures as they wish but only one picture per child
4. Entries must be submitted by 5pm on 3 May 2019
5. BookTrust reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time, so do keep checking the website
6. The pictures must include books; these pictures can be drawings, paintings or collages; pictures must be 2D
7. Entries will be judged by BookTrust and all ten Laureates. Our decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into
8. Winners and runners-up are expected to be notified by 21 June 2019, although this is subject to change
9. The three top winners will win a reading corner set, worth up to £1,500 and the Laureate books (up to 30 books), plus two copies of Flights of Fancy. BookSpace will deliver to each of the three top winning primary schools a reading corner set to the value of £1500+VAT before the start of the Autumn 2019 term. The three top winning schools will be able to choose from one of seven Reading Corner sets from a specified range. Delivery of the Reading Corner sets to the three top winning schools will be covered by BookSpace if winning schools are based in mainland UK. If a winning school is based outside of mainland UK, BookSpace will apply a delivery surcharge
10. The top 20 runners up (including the three top winners) will win the Laureate books (up to 30 books), plus two copies of Flights of Fancy
11. One hundred highly commended schools will win two copies of Flights of Fancy
12. By entering you are agreeing to the terms and conditions in our privacy statement
Waterstones Children's Laureate
Bestselling author-illustrator Lauren Child is the Children's Laureate for 2017-19: a role given every two years to celebrate outstanding achievement in children's literature.